Wednesday, October 04, 2006

It figures...it really figures

Couldn't things just go right? Couldn't my reality just every so often match up with what my mind sees it as? Apparently, if it is to happen, it is not to happen today. I had it in my mind that we would take an evening drive down by the lake. (We live on the western shore of Lake Corpus Christi so we get great moonrises some times.) Nothing really complicated about the drive, although we did get to use the 4 wheel drive low gear to get up and down some hills. We were just going to drive down the Earl's Cove, (so named for a previous maintenance man who would slip away to go fishing there as often as he could), and sit and talk as the lights went out on the day. So we're sitting there and I see that just a bit further towards the lake, there is a cool point that is really right on the water. I even get out to survey the situation:

So to myself I'm thinking,

"Can I make this?"
"Sure you can make this, this is a 4 wheel drive vehicle and it's perfect evening. Go for it."
"OK, thanks, I'm going for it."

I walked back to the FJ40, hopped up into the driver's seat and told Kristie that we were going over there. She looked a little unsure, but I had confidence for both of us and she sensed that and relaxed a bit. After all, I was the man. It was perfect evening. Let's go for it.

I made it...about 10 yards...then my back tire sunk into the soft sandy soil that was once the lake bottom (the lake is down about 10 feet). Yes, I tried all the usual tricks, but the truth is...my reality tonight is...that the FJ40 is standing guard, waiting for the sunrise, down at Earl's Cove in that exact spot.

Why am I always surprised when things go a little askew? I mean it happens everyday...you would think I would be a bit more ready of these rare opportunities. Kristie had the right attitude though. As we raced the fading light the half mile back to our house through swarms of gnats and other unidentified flying insects, I think she noticed my consternation and tried to put me at ease, "Hey, it's ok. It's an adventure."

Simply put. Well said. Here's to the adventure.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home