Saturday, October 07, 2006

The Cradle of Life

South Texas will have to make it a few days without me...I am home. Not the "home is where you hang your hat" kind of home, and not the romantic "I'm at home wherever she is" kind of home.....it's more like the "I grew up in this house, fought with my sister, climbed that tree, broke that window, crashed here from college, cried after funerals, watched hours of TV, read all these nerdy books, and love these people" kind of home. You can't ever replace that sort. It's always that same unexciting and quirky place that will captivate your memories of the way things should be.

I guess I'm always a little nervous about seeing all the people I grew up with. Our lives are so different now. I'm reminded of a Pierce Pettis song "Little River Canyon"

"Some left for college, some could only dream
I see em hanging around town, still wearing their high school rings
I avoid their faces when I come to town
Man, I still don't know which one of us has let the other down"

We'll see how it goes.

Goodnight Diboll.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home