Sunday, October 08, 2006

"What kind of parade is that?!"

That was the quote of the day for me. One of my friends who moved back to Diboll from New Orleans a few months after Hurricane Katrina and his daughter, who had never been to a Diboll Day parade before, were there. She was pretty excited about the parade. Being from New Orleans, she understands parades quite well...floats, candy, beads, scrambling to collect said bounty and an overall festive atmosphere. When she found out that this parade no longer threw candy for "safety reasons" or something like that, she was...well...confused. But being a generally good natured type, she went along anyway thinking maybe some real parade action might be found. Alas, the young one was yet more confused and disappointed.

You see, where the Crescent City parade might have had an eighteen wheeler pulling a flatbed trailer with streamers, crepe paper, elaborate expensive decorations, masks, beads and jazz; the Home of Fighting Diboll Lumberjacks also had an eighteen wheeler pulling a flatbed trailer...

That's it. Just the trailer.

Oh yeah. It's loaded with wood too. Talk about action.

You might think I'm kidding or perhaps employing my gift for hyperbole, but no...in fact, I knew no one (at least no one who hadn't been to Diboll Day) would believe me, so I brought proof.


I have other pics too, but they are just too painful and although loaded with great blog material, I think I'll keep them under wraps for now.

On other news: April, Charles, Jennifer, Chris, Karen, Daniel, John, Erin, Andrea, and April went out to eat with us Saturday night, and we had a blast. It was great to see my friends. It made me realize even more that I have been truly fortunate and blessed with the caliber and quantity of sincere yet gregarious people I have in my life. From high school to college and throughout my career/s, the same type of people keep showing up, but my first thanks would have to go to these people who knew me during the primer years of life and who didn't make too much sport of the bad haircuts, clothing disasters or the myriad idiotic mistakes I made while trying date. This group of sawmill town malcontents taught me a lot about life and set the proverbial bar high for others who would enter later to help finish what they started. It was good to catch up.

Diboll Day 2006. Put it down in the books. See you in two years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home